Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hunting for Meteorites

On November 20, 2008, a large meteor fell just south of Lloydminster, SK at around 5:30 p.m. It broke up into thousands of pieces and spread over many kilometers. My Dad was fortunate enough to go out last weekend and was able to find a couple of pieces from the meteorite. They are quite obvious as they are definitely burned/charred. They are very interesting indeed. So, because I was unable to go with him, I checked about going out this weekend. So, I'm just waiting for the stamp of approval from the guy heading up the search. I'll post some photos of my Dad's pieces. In the meantime, below are some photos of the meteor that fell, captured by a CTV News camera. The bottom photo is from a police dashboard camera.





3 comments:

  1. Hey I posted about my adventure with the science team, I found 3 but I don't get to keep them , still cool though, a once in a lifetime opportunity, you should go out if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully I can arrange to go out. The best part is, the group we go with is able to keep the pieces found, so hopefully it will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the best part, I would have loved to gone out with them and been able to keep a piece I found, good luck and post pics, you will find something.

    ReplyDelete